Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triggering with Remote Wonder?
Most remotes use USB, though there are a few that still use serial. Serial remotes are fading away though (serial everything for that matter). This is especially true since many people like to use remotes for giving presentations with their laptops. I own 3 PC Remotes (ATI, Creative, and Hauppauge), and none of them use Serial. In fact, they all use a different method: The Hauppauge IR reciever plugs into the pci card, the Creative IR reciever is built into the LiveDrive, and the Remote Wonder uses a USB RF reciever. USB is definitely where everything is going, though.

I once thought about doing something similar with my TI-89, I even found schematics for making an IR transmitter for it.

But I figure if I have remotes, I might as well let the remote controls do the remote controlling, and let the calculator calculate. Smile

Anyway, like I said before, I've never programmed this sort of thing before (I mostly do CGI in Perl and such), so this is unfamiliar ground to me. I've never done anything with serial ports, let alone USB, so I don't know if your technique is easily transferrable to reading USB ports. Even if it is, having a continuously running QM macro would add a lot of unnecessary overhead. That, and last time I tried (couple of versions ago, so this may have changed), it would mean no other macros could be run.

Messages In This Thread