Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Search in files" dialog (regexp, replace)
Hi All,
I am now using QM code derived from the Search in Files dialog to find files and filepaths but the number of files is SO huge ( about 100,000 files in about 65 gig), that it is taking too long to search through them. I have found sofware online that create an index (in about 2 minutes or so) which returns lightning-fast results. The best so far I have found (shareware) is "Index Your Files http://www.indexyourfiles.com/. Problem is that it doesn't support command-line interface (to my knowledge), so I can't automate it's usage to use within my QM file. I was just wondering the following:

1) any recommendations for software that people are using to do this...preferably with command-line search query submit and output to textfile so I can use it in QM dialog

2) What is the nature of "indexing" and can I do it myself easily within QM using SQLITE as Index database.
- I tried just outputting the filepaths of my folders to .txt file but it got so huge that it wouldn't open properly and I know it would be too big to do simple text string searching in QM. But maybe this could be done with SQLITE database. If it was just a list of filepaths, would searching this as a SQLITE database be faster than going through the regular Windows file structure like in the Search in Files dialog? Any advice on how to structure such an index database if so?

3) Alternatively, if there is software that creates an index that could then be read by QM rather than that software, then I would only need the external software at time of index creation (won't need to be updated too often). Maybe there is some common database format that such software uses. Anybody's experience would be greatly appreciated. For example, the Index created by "Index Your Files" is only 3.42 MB containing 89,030 files and is .EXP file but I don't know much about what that format is.

Thanks, Stuart

Messages In This Thread