Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shared macros break when network connectivity is lost
When an exported folder is imported using "add as shared file", it appears to be vulnerable to loss of network connectivity at reboot with 2 problems.

First, even though the Main.qml file was saved after import, if the network shared file is not found at reboot, it can't be used. That is, QM does not appear to keep a local copy of the contents of the shared file, even in a read-only format. So if the shared file is not found at reboot, it can't use the last copy it had before reboot because it didn't keep that copy.

Second, I found that even when connectivity was restored, QM did indeed find the file and add it automatically, but the triggers of the shared file did not become active unti QM was shut down and restarted.

This behavior is too unstable to allow mass deployment of macros in this manner. The system needs to cache shared macros so that if it loses connectivity to the shared file at reboot, it will always keep using its last known copy of them. But this way, the functionality breaks whenever there is a loss of connectivity at reboot.

Also, it would be great if the shared file could be put on a web server instead of only a network share, allowing the file to be specified with a URL instead of only a UNC name.
hirschor Wrote:Also, it would be great if the shared file could be put on a web server instead of only a network share, allowing the file to be specified with a URL instead of only a UNC name.

And thus enters QM into the "dialin to big brother to use the software" world. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, it's just that I keep having bad experiences with DRM when I see it implemented in a new/novel way I just hate the fact that it's there....Now....that's not to say that that's what you're doing or even that it's bad IF you're doing it. You're wanting to invent the gun and that's great if you're a deer hunter, not so much if you're a deer....Now, I've said all that to say this.

This would be a really great addition to QM. Especially the web distributable shared macros (though it will take some not insignificant programming to make bulletproof for the end user).
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
Thank you, I'll try to make it more reliable in next QM version (2.3.1 probably), and fix the triggers bug in QM 2.3.0.7.